Why not take the opportunity to cover up a bit of nasty concrete with something green and lush that might help reduce the urban heat island effect AND on top of that host some more bees in the city.
What if we could help restaurants and bars in the city grow food close to where they're cooking to reduce food miles.
Now how about if there were people around everyday to help you learn how to grow food.
Wouldn't that be awesome?
Well, stop imagining, open your eyes and get down to Fed Square where the enterprising people from The Little Vegie Patch have managed to get an amazing vegie patch organised in the centre of Melbourne and it's not so little (as you'll see in the video below).
On top of that, our friends Rooftop Honey will host 10 hives of superstar bees nearby to help out with a bit of pollination and some honey that can be used in Fed Square's bars and restaurants.
It's called Pop up Patch and it's expected to stick around for at least the next 12 months. Long may it continue I say. And we could do with a few more too.
In their words:
"stroll down before work, tumble down after, hell, come and get your fingernails dirty during lunchtime; the garden is manned during most hours of the day and as subscribers you are able to get special access to suit your demand.
Remember there is nothing stopping you sharing a patch with friends, family, a club, your work colleagues, maybe even your worst enemy as an attempt to heal open wounds; what you do with your patch is up to you and we will encourage it."
What does it cost?
$3.50 a day, or $25 a week (check their website for more info about payment)
- Use of a fully installed little veggie crate
- Private tutorage; on demand (there will be LVPC staff members on site 8 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- Book: Little Veggie Patch Co’s “How to Grow Food in Small Spaces”Book
- Little Veggie Patch Co’s “Guide to Backyard Farming” (first 50 subscribers)
- (3)Seasonal Seed/Seedling Packs (each pack you can choose 3 varieties of seasonal seedlings and 3 varieties of seeds)
- 10% discount on shop products
- Exclusive online content each month
- Some nifty extras: Gloves, plant markers, lvpc broche and more…
Pop Up Patch is located in the Car Park at the rear of Fed Square. The garden is open to the public 7 days a week. 9am to 5pm.
Email HERE or speak to a person Ph: (03) 9531 5594