Hello PepperTree Friends
Winter is a special time of year for the garden where we slow down a tad, take stock of the garden, make some leaf mould, keep the compost turning and prepare the soil with organic matter and green manures. Some people stop gardening all together thinking nothing grows during these colder months, but we can assure you that winter vegetables and fruits continue to grow and thrive here in Melbourne right through the frosty months!! Last June, the Incr-Edible Coburg Food Swap Table saw a huge diversity of free fresh food being presented - the likes of lemons, kiwifruit, pomegranate, Jerusalem artichokes, bunches of chard, rhubarb, basil, kale, bay leaves, silver beet plus celery, chillies, Warrigal Greens, carrots, Vietnamese mint, plum jam, seedlings, olives, chokos and oranges to name a few!!
The Incr-Edible Coburg Food Swap happens on the First Saturday of the Month, 10am-1pm
PepperTree Winter/Spring Workshop Series
Workshops begin 10.30am. Register and pay at the Swap Table prior to start time please. $10 per person
- July 5th: Introduction to Vegie Gardening for Beginners
- Aug 2nd: Composting and Wormfarming - have all your questions answered!
- Sept 6th: Summer Vegie Gardening - seed sowing and getting your garden ready to beat the heat
- Oct 4th: Sourdough Bread making for Beginners
- Nov 1st: Summer Vegie Garden Maintenance and PepperTree Working Bee
- Nov 8th: Spring Garden Fiesta!!! 10am-4pm All day extravaganza!! Featuring local music, nursery, great food and drinks, kids activities, workshops in a family friendly environment.
PepperTree Place is Kildonan Uniting Care's Community Hub and Social Enterprise base located in Coburg. We have a volunteer powered community nursery open all week, a pop-up cafe open on the 1st Saturday of the month and at special events and we are also a composting hub - bring your organic kitchen waste down to feed the worms. PepperTree is open to the public Tuesday - Friday, 10am-4pm (but won't be open Tuesdays in July for 2014 only).